PDA

View Full Version : Do Female Bunnies Have Periods?

Cinamingrl
06-11-2009, 11:59 PM
I've noticed that when my female bunny urinates it's a little bloody. She peed on a quilt last week and the next day it was reddish in color. And today I when I cleaned out her cage, there was blood in the corner where she goes potty. I've never had a bunny before so it surprised me. And she seems to be a lot more aggressive lately. She's bitten me a few times and drawn blood. Other than that, she's still eating and seems really active and happy. She's also been eating a few apples that I give her all chopped into pieces.

She's just moody.:upset:

xPepsix
07-11-2009, 06:03 AM
How old is she and is she spayed? Blood in urine is not normal, if its true blood and not just dark urine then i would advise a vet check :happy:

bunnygirl
07-11-2009, 06:13 AM
rabbits are induced ovulaters. they will only come into season when there is a male just about to mate with her.
urine can differ in colour and sometimes dark red urine is normal. however if it is urine that is stained with blood she may have cystitis.
if she is not spayed then that may explain her moods, otherwise you may have just been catching her at a grumpy time. i fine thick garden gloves help against bunnies that bite. at least that way no blood is drawn!

Demi
07-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Can you clearly see blood within the urine, or is the urine just red?

Red Urine is sometimes a sign of too many veggies.

ZakuraRabbit
07-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Red urine is completely normal. Some of my litter boxes have looked like they had blood in them, but the rabbits are just fine.
I don't think it means "too much" veggies either since mine get it even when they don't have much vegetables. (Since they get less in the winter.) Carrots and clovers (I think) are extra likely to give redish urine.

Cinamingrl
07-11-2009, 12:55 PM
thanks everyone. She seems find today also. This morning she was kicking up her feet while running around the apartment, and then laying down on her tummy to rest.

And yes, I do sometimes (usually now) put gloves on when I take her out of her cage. I'm cuddling her for a minute or 2 and then she wants to go back into her cage.

And no she's not spayed. She was a stray and I don't really know how old she is. She's very small also, which made me think that she's still a baby. :happy:

DebbieBrien
09-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Red urine is completely normal. Some of my litter boxes have looked like they had blood in them, but the rabbits are just fine.
I don't think it means "too much" veggies either since mine get it even when they don't have much vegetables. (Since they get less in the winter.) Carrots and clovers (I think) are extra likely to give redish urine.

Yeah....I almost had a heart attack when I saw (what I thought was) blood on the grass when my bunnies were playing out. After closer investigation of the little puddle, inspection of bunnies bottoms :erk: (and a later wee on the wood shavings) discovered it was actually really dark orange wee! They had been eating clover all day in the run, and hubby had given them carrot earlier. Felt so relieved but so stupid all at the same time !!!

fluffybunny
09-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Is she spayed? if not, unspayed females over 4 years of age are prone to uterine cancer. Blood in the urine is a sign of this. She needs to see a vet now. If it is cancer, it will spread quickly and is very aggressive.

Cinamingrl
09-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Is she spayed? if not, unspayed females over 4 years of age are prone to uterine cancer. Blood in the urine is a sign of this. She needs to see a vet now. If it is cancer, it will spread quickly and is very aggressive.
She's a baby, not over 4 years. Nevertheless, I think I'll call a vet.

Cinamingrl
10-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Just wanted to update my post; I took her to a doctor today. She has a URI infection. She's now on antibiotics and vitamin C. The doctor said she's 2 or 3 years old. That's news to me. I guess after being a wild or feral bunny, she's doing well.

Soon she'll be much better. And maybe this was the reason she's been so grouchy. I'm hoping she's healthy again soon. And I'll post pics of the newest bunny here as soon as I get them.:tongue: