Thread: Help!! Rabbit not drinking

Default Help!! Rabbit not drinking

Hi all this is my first post on this site and maybe my last hope, i have a female mini lop rabbit called snowball and she refuses to drink anything for 4 - 5 days.... we have just had her back from the vets and they cant find why she not drinking and have said she is not dehydrated, she has gone off her excell food and will only eat cabbage and dandilions which are ready available in the fields close to my house.
    when we try and feed her water through a syringe she just lets it dribble out of her mouth the same as she done with the vets.

will she get enough water from veg alone?

any help or advice would b great.

thanks

My guess is there is a link between her not eating dried pellet food and not drinking water in that if her diet has changed to veg then she *probably* no longer needs extra water that she needed whilst eating dry food.

I would still be concerned by the change though as to why she won't eat dry food - did she have her teeth checked?
    Does she eat other dry food such as hay? What about any other hard food?

The not drinking water in itself doesn't sound to be a problem if she isn't dehydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    My guess is there is a link between her not eating dried pellet food and not drinking water in that if her diet has changed to veg then she *probably* no longer needs extra water that she needed whilst eating dry food.

I would still be concerned by the change though as to why she won't eat dry food - did she have her teeth checked?
    Does she eat other dry food such as hay? What about any other hard food?

The not drinking water in itself doesn't sound to be a problem if she isn't dehydrated.
    hi Eclipse thanks for your reply, the vet checked her teeth and said they were fine he did however say that he felt something which could be a mass or he thinks is blockage and has got her on paraffin liquid which she wont take from a syringe but i put on dandilion leaves which she eats which may make her pass the blockage

update on snowball we took her back to the vets on sunday where they decided to open her up, they found that when she had a hysterectomy last year that some scar tissue was wrapped around a pipe going into her stomach they cut that away and said there no reason why she shouldnt be eating or drinking we had her back yesterday from the vets (tuesday) and she still wont drink a drop of water and eating very little food, and wont allow us to syringe feed her just dribbles it out, off back to the vets today hope she will get through this

well took snowball to the vets and we both agreed that the best thing for her was euthanasia, she will be sadly missed.

RIP snowball x

Banned

Sorry to hear that. I hope you will do well, and I hope that you will find out what is going on with snowball. And if you want my opinion, is that it has a neck injury that bothering him when drinking water.

hi tomson im sure she didnt have a neck injury, all the vet could tell us after opening her up was that its a mystery why she wouldnt drink water she even had a second opinion from the practice owner at the vets.
    i think the hard part is after spending all that money we still dont know how she was ill.