Thread: Rabbit eating very little

Default Rabbit eating very little

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. My rex buck rabbit aged 6 has stopped eating pellet food and only eating very little in the way of cabbage, carrot and grass. Not eating much hay just picking at it. Went to vet last week and they did a dental although they said there was not much wrong with his teeth to stop him eating. He is running around as normal, is not in pain but is losing weight. He does seem to be urinating more than usual. He is also on a gut stimulant twice a day at the moment although this is not getting him to eat. will be going back to vet this week for a blood test.

Has anyone any ideas what could be wrong or had a similar problem, as the vet does not seem to have any ideas.

Thanks

Have you changed his diet recently? Sometimes a drastic change in diet can disrupt them a little. Has he had any need to be stressed out? What does his gut feel like? Is it hard? If he is weeing more than normal this may indicate that his drinking a lot which could indicate liver problems. However I am not a vet. It is also worth noting that rabbits are pray animals so they hide pain very well compared to other animals. If your bun has stopped eating and pooping it could be bloat and this is normally an emergency as rabbits guts need to keep moving.

I would double check with your vets asap.

See if his stomach feels soft. If it doesn't contact your vet. It could be bloating or maybe he got something he shouldn't have (like cardboard). My own rabbit just got treated for GI stasis. The teeth issue could be facilitating his lack of interest in food. Seeing that he is already on a gut stimulant I'd say it's safer to contact your vet again.

Hope he gets better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn26 View Post
    Hi I wonder if anyone can help. My rex buck rabbit aged 6 has stopped eating pellet food and only eating very little in the way of cabbage, carrot and grass. Not eating much hay just picking at it. Went to vet last week and they did a dental although they said there was not much wrong with his teeth to stop him eating. He is running around as normal, is not in pain but is losing weight. He does seem to be urinating more than usual. He is also on a gut stimulant twice a day at the moment although this is not getting him to eat. will be going back to vet this week for a blood test.

Has anyone any ideas what could be wrong or had a similar problem, as the vet does not seem to have any ideas.

Thanks
    What are you feeding him? It sounds like a food issue. Also listen to his gut. Don't just feel it, listen to it. If it's making a lot of grumbling noises, it's fine weather it's hard or soft. If it's silent, get some papaya down him right away. Also for a Rex, 6 yrs old is pretty high up there in age. That breed doesn't have a very long shelf life on them. He could just be getting old too.

~SDR

Proudly raising New Zealands and Belgian Hares since 2007